*Denotes student under my supervision.
- Cranston S*, Collins PA. “Can Community Hubs Fill the Voids Left by Closed Public Schools? Recommendations for Ontario.” Plan Canada. 2017. 57(3): 41-43.
- Collins PA, Alger M*, Whitelaw G, Williams B*. “Implementing Integrated Community Sustainability Planning: A Comparative Case Study of Three Mid-Sized Municipalities in Ontario, Canada.” International Journal of Sustainable Development. 2017. 20(2): 124-145. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJSD.2017.083486
- Agarwal A, Collins PA. “Opportunities and Barriers in Promoting Public Transit Use in a Midsize Canadian City: A Study of Kingston, Ontario.” Canadian Journal of Urban Research. 2016. 25(2): 1-10.
- Collins PA, Gaucher M*, Power EM, Little MH. “Implicating municipalities in addressing household food insecurity in Canada: a pan-Canadian analysis of news print media coverage.” Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2016. 107(1): e1-e7. http://dx.doi.org/10.17269/cjph.107.5231
- O’Neill-Kizoff C*, Collins PA. “Sustainability at the Urban-Rural Fringe: Implications of agriburbs for sustainable development in Ontario.” Plan Canada 2016; 56(1): 22-5. link Awarded CIP’s Best Feature Article of the Year for 2016.
- Collins PA, Agarwal A. “Impacts of Public Transit Improvements on Ridership, andImplications for Physical Activity, in a Low Density Canadian City.” Preventive Medicine Reports. 2015; 2: 874-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pmedr.2015.10.001
- Stuart J*, Collins PA, Alger M*, Whitelaw G. “Embracing Sustainability: The incorporation of sustainability principles in municipal planning and policy in four mid-sized municipalities in Ontario.” Local Environment 2016; 21(2): 219-40. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13549839.2014.936844
- Collins PA, Mayer D. “Active Transportation among Adults in Kingston, Ontario: An Analysis of Mode, Destination, and Duration among Walkers and Cyclists.” Journal of Physical Activity and Health 2015; 12(Suppl 1): S76-83. http://dx.doi.org/10.1123/jpah.2012-0320
- Alberghetti A*, Collins PA. “A Passion for Gambling: A Generation-Specific Conceptual Analysis and Review of Gambling Among Older Adults In Canada”. Journal of Gambling Studies 2015; 31(2): 343-358. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10899-013-9425-2
- Chadwick K*, Collins PA. “Examining the influence of social support availability and urban center size on the mental health status of Canadian immigrants: a mixed methods study.” Social Science & Medicine 2015; 128: 220-30. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2015.01.036
- Power E, Little MH, Collins PA. A food stamp program is not the answer to food insecurity in Canada. Health Promotion International 2015; 30(1): 184-93. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/heapro/dau080
- Collins PA. “Examining Municipal Intentions to Address Local Health Issues: An Analysis of Official Community Plans of Five Metro Vancouver Municipalities.” Canadian Planning Policy (CJUR) 2014; 23 (1 Supplement): 21-45. link
- Collins PA, Resendes S*, Dunn JR. “Exploring Community Health Centres’ Initiatives to Address Upstream Health Determinants at the Neighbourhood Level in Ontario.” Healthcare Policy. 2014; 10(1): 14-29. link
- Collins PA, Power EM, Little MH. “Municipal Level Responses to Household Food Insecurity in Canada: A Call for Critical, Evaluative Research.” Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2014; 105(2):e138-41. link
- Daw JR, Morgan SG, Collins PA, Abelson J. “Framing Incremental Expansions to Public Health Insurance Programs: The Case of Canadian Pharmacare.” Journal of Health Politics, Policy, and Law. 2014; 39(2): 295-330. http://dx.doi.org/10.1215/03616878-2416229
- Collins PA, Hayes MV. “Examining the Capacities of Municipal Governments to Reduce Health Inequities: A Survey of Municipal Actors’ Perceptions in Metro Vancouver.” Canadian Journal of Public Health 2013; 104(4): e304-310. link
- Collins PA. “Do Great Local Minds Think Alike? Assessing Consensus in Perceptions of the Social Determinants of Health between Non-Profit and Governmental Actors in Two Canadian Cities”. Health Education Research 2012; 27(3): 371-84. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/her/cys009
- Collins PA, Hayes MV. “The Role of Urban Municipal Governments in Reducing Health Inequities: A Meta-Narrative Mapping Analysis”. International Journal for Equity in Health 2010; 9(1): 13. link
- Abelson J, Collins PA. “Media Hyping of Drug Policy in Canada and the UK: The Case of Herceptin.” Healthcare Policy 2009; 4(3): e113-e128. link
- Collins PA, Hayes MV, Oliver LN. “Neighbourhood Quality and Self-Rated Health: A Survey of Eight Suburban Neighbourhoods in the Vancouver Census Metropolitan Area.” Health & Place 2009; 15: 156-64. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2008.03.008
- Collins PA, Hayes MV. “Twenty years since Ottawa and Epp: Researchers’ Reflections on Challenges, Gains, and Future Prospects for Reducing Health Inequities in Canada.” Health Promotion International 2007; 22 (4): 337-45. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/heapro/dam031
- Collins PA, Abelson J, Eyles JD. “Knowledge into Action? Understanding Ideological Barriers to Addressing Health Inequalities at the Local Level.” Health Policy 2007; 80 (1): 158-71. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.healthpol.2006.02.014
- Collins PA, Abelson J, Pyman H, Lavis J. “Are We Expecting Too Much From Print Media? An Analysis of Newspaper Coverage of the 2002 Canadian Healthcare Reform Debate.” Social Science & Medicine 2006; 63 (1): 89-102. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2005.12.012
- Abelson J, Eyles J, McLeod C, Collins P, McMullan C, Forest PG. “Does Deliberation Make a Difference? Results from a Citizens Panel Study of Health Goals Priority Setting.” Health Policy 2003; 66 (1): 95-106.
Conference Presentations (Last 5 Years)
- Collins PA (co-presenting author), MacFarlane R (co-presenting author). “Expressing Themselves! A Longitudinal Study of Commuting Habits, Attitudes, and Physical Activity following the Introduction of Express Transit in Kingston, Ontario.” Canadian Association of Geographers, Toronto, ON, May 26-30, 2017.
- Collins PA (presenting author), Agarwal A. “Studying the Impacts of Modest Public Transit Improvements on Commute Patterns, Physical Activity Levels, and Health in a Mid-Sized Canadian City: A Natural Experiment of University Employees in Kingston, Ontario.” Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning, Portland, OR, November 3-6, 2016.
- Collins PA (presenting author), Agarwal A. “A Longitudinal Study of the Impacts of Public Transit Improvements on Commute Patterns and Physical Activity Levels of Queen’s University Employees in Kingston, Ontario.” International Conference on Urban Health, San Francisco, CA, 1-4 April, 2016.
- Collins PA. “Implementation Strategies for Integrated Community Sustainability Plans: An Analysis of Two Mid-Sized Municipalities in Ontario, Canada.” Canadian Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, Vancouver, BC, 1-5 June, 2015.
- Collins PA. “The Public Health Potential of Transit Ridership in a Midsized Canadian City: A Longitudinal Analysis of Commute Pattern Changes among Employees at Queen’s University”. Canadian Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, Vancouver, BC, 1-5 June, 2015.
- Collins PA. “The Public Health Potential of Transit Ridership in a Midsized Canadian City: A Longitudinal Analysis of Commute Pattern Changes among Employees at Queen’s University”. Canadian Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Vancouver, BC, 25-28 May, 2015.
- Collins PA. “Commute Patterns for a Large Institutional Employer in an Automobile-Centric City: A Case Study of Employees at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario.” Canadian Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, St. Catharines ON, 29 May 2014.
- Collins P. “An examination of print media coverage of household food insecurity action in Canada.” Canadian Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Toronto Ontario, 26-29 May 2014.
- Stuart J* (presenter), Whitelaw G, Collins P. “Planning for Urban Biodiversity: An examination of the relationship between Integrated Community Sustainability Planning principles and novel ecosystem formation.” Oral presentation for the Canadian Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, St. John’s Newfoundland, 11-15 August 2013.
- Williams B* (presenter), Collins P, Whitelaw G. “Integrated Community Sustainability Planning in Mid-sized Municipalities: A Comparative Case Study.” Oral presentation for the Canadian Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, St. John’s Newfoundland, 11-15 August 2013.
- Collins P, Hayes MV (presenter). “Examining the Capacities of Municipal Governments to Reduce Health Inequities: A Survey of Municipal Actors’ Perceptions in Metro Vancouver.” Oral presentation for the 2013 American Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, California, 12 April 2013.